The minor in Biology provides students with a solid scientific base that is becoming increasingly important in this world of advances in nanotechnology, medicine, and bioinformatics. Our program provides a broad base in biology with the option for the students to pursue elective courses within their interests. The minor in Biology also complements a wide variety of disciplines. Students in many other fields, including marketing, government and international politics, or law, will find that biology is not only rewarding, but also useful in their professional careers.
Total Credit Hours: 20
A. Required Courses (8 credit hours)
- BIO 103T & BIO 103L Introductory Biology I
- BIO 104T & BIO 104L Introductory Biology II
B. Electives (12 credit hours, 4 of which must be at the 300-level or 400-level)
- BIO 215T & BIO 215L Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 216T & BIO 216L Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO 230T & BIO 230L Plant Anatomy
- BIO 270T & BIO 270L Cell Biology
- BIO 275T/L Microbiology
- BIO 300T & BIO 300L Ecology
- BIO 315 Plant & Animal Physiology
- BIO 340T & BIO 340L Vertebrate Zoology
- BIO 341T & BIO 341L Invertebrate Zoology
- BIO 342 Animal Behavior
- BIO 350 Advanced Physiology
- BIO 351 Genetics
- BIO 380 Evolution
- BIO 490 Special Topics
C. Additional Requirements
- At least 12 credit hours must be taken at SUNY Poly.
- Students must achieve a minimum “C” grade in the courses applied toward the minor.
- Elective substitutions must be approved by the Biology program coordinator.