Federal Financial Aid Programs

Campus-Based Federal Aid Programs

Federal College Work-Study Program

The Federal College Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need. Students are paid by the hour and receive at least the current federal minimum wage. Jobs are located both on and off campus and students are paid every two weeks. Students generally work 5 hours per week and set their work hours so they do not conflict with their class schedule.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is an award to help undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. Because the funding for the FSEOG program is limited, there is no guarantee eligible student will be able to receive a grant.

Federal Nursing Student Loan

Eligibility for the Federal Nursing Student Loan program is based on financial need. Loans are available to students majoring in nursing and attending full-time. The maximum available per year is $5,200 with repayment at 5% interest beginning nine months after the student graduates or drops below half-time status.

Non-Campus Based Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant Program

If financially eligible, undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or first professional degree may qualify for a Federal Pell Grant. To be academically eligible, a student must be accepted into a degree program and be making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility. To determine if the student is financially eligible, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, passed into law by Congress, to evaluate the information reported on the FAFSA. The amount of the award will depend on the amount of money Congress has allocated to the program, the student’s enrollment status, and whether or not the student attends SUNY Poly for a full academic year.

Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan

These are low-interest loans made by the U.S. Department of Education, through SUNY Poly, directly to the student. Interest is paid by the government while the student is in school. The amount a student can borrow is based upon financial need and cannot exceed $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores, $5,500 for juniors or seniors. All Direct Loan borrowers will be charged an origination fee which reduces the amount of loan actually disbursed. SUNY Poly will use your loan to pay your charges and will give you any remaining balance for living expenses. Repayment of the loan begins six months after you cease to be a half-time student and is made directly to the federal government.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan

A borrower’s unsubsidized loan amount is determined by calculating the difference between the borrower’s cost of attendance for the period of enrollment and the amount of estimated financial assistance, including the amount of a subsidized loan for which the borrower qualifies. The maximum a student can apply for per academic year when combined with the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is as follows: dependent undergraduates — $5,500 for freshmen, $6,500 for sophomores, $7,500 for juniors or seniors; independent undergraduates — $9,500 for freshmen, $10,500 for sophomores, $12,500 for juniors or seniors, and $20,500 for graduate students per academic year. Interest must be paid or capitalized by the student from the date the loan is disbursed. Unsubsidized loans will be disbursed the same as the subsidized loans.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students

PLUS loans are for parents of dependent students who want to borrow to help pay for their children’s education. Upon credit approval, a parent can borrow an amount not to exceed the student’s estimated cost of attendance minus any estimated financial assistance the student has been or will be awarded during the period of enrollment. Repayment of the loan begins within 60 days of the last disbursement of the funds unless a borrower contacts direct lending to arrange a deferment or forbearance.

Loan Consolidation

You may want to consider consolidating your loans to simplify repayment. By consolidating your loans, you will make only one monthly payment to cover all of your loans. For more information on the Direct Consolidation Loan, call 1-800-557-7392 or visit www.studentloans.gov. Borrowers wishing to consolidate education loans other than a Direct Loan should contact their lenders for consolidation information.

U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans

For qualification guidelines contact Bureau of Indian Education:

Bureau of Indian Education, 1849 C Street, N.W.,
Mail Stop 3609 MIB, Washington, DC 20240
Phone: (202) 208-6123 | Fax: (202) 208-3312

Additional information is available online at www.bie.edu.

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits

The Veterans Readjustment Act of 1966, and subsequent legislation, enables certain veterans, or sons or daughters of deceased or disabled veterans, to obtain financial assistance for a college education. Contact the local Veterans Administration Office for further educational information or call 1-888-442-4551.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Beginning with the 2010-11 award year, a student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of the service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Students must be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year—not to exceed the cost of attendance for the award year.


This program provides full-time educational awards in return for community service work. These awards consist of working before, during, or after your postsecondary education, and you can use the funds either to pay current education expenses or repay federal student loans. For more information, contact:

Corporation for National and Community Service
1201 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20525 (www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps 1-800-942-2677)

U.S. Armed Forces

The armed forces offer financial aid for service members and their families. For more information on recruitment incentives, contact your local military recruiter or visit the U.S. Department of Defense at www.todaysmilitary.com, click on “Living.”