The Advanced Certificate is a 24-credit Post-Master’s in Nursing specializing in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice (PMHNP). The Advanced Certificate in PMHNP prepares nurses with an advanced body of knowledge to provide mental health services across the lifespan. The online program consists of a 24-credit curriculum that focuses on advances in diagnostic reasoning; therapeutics in psychopharmacology; and advanced theory in psychiatric mental health nursing practice. The curriculum also integrates 640 clinical hours under the specialty of preceptorships with nurse practitioners or physicians practicing in psychiatric mental health. The psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner provides mental health service through diagnosis and treatment; prevention and mental health promotion programs; interprofessional collaboration and consultation with mental health providers; and leadership roles across health care clinics, hospitals, community agencies and private practice. Graduates of this program meet the educational requirements for national board certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and are eligible for New York State NP certification.
The Advanced Certificate with a specialization in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice is a distance education program with synchronous and asynchronous delivery. The program consists of 24-credits and 640 clinical hours.
PMH Specialty Courses
- NUR 502 Foundations in Psychiatric Mental Health Care (2cr)
- NUR 590 Advanced Diagnostics for PMH (2cr)
- NUR 600 Psychopharmacology (3cr)
- NUR 516 Advanced Theory and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Clinical I (4cr: 2cr didactic /2cr clinical @ 160 cl hrs.)
- NUR 517 Advanced Theory and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice Clinical II (4cr: 2cr didactic /2cr clinical @ 160 cl hrs.)
- NUR 601 Advanced Theory and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice Clinical III (4cr: 2cr didactic /2cr clinical @ 160 cl hrs.)
- NUR 602 Advanced Theory and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practice Clinical IV (4cr: 2cr didactic /2cr clinical @ 160 cl hrs.)
- NUR 603 Seminar for Advanced Practice in Psychiatric Mental Health (1cr)
Total Program: 24 Credits and 640 Clinical Hours