Health and Wellness Center
The Health and Wellness Center, located in Oriskany Hall, Suite B, at the Utica site, provides evaluation, treatment and prevention of health-related problems for full-time, part-time, undergraduate and graduate students. The Health and Wellness Center is staffed by a part-time physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurses, a health educator and support personnel. It is open daily Monday and Thursday, 9 am to 6 pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday until 5 pm.
The Health and Wellness Center and Counseling Center are supported through a mandatory health fee each semester. This fee provides each student comprehensive, confidential health-related services by appointment or walk-in basis at the Health and Wellness Center. This fee should not be confused with the mandatory medical insurance fee that covers off-campus health care services. Some services provided by the mandatory health fee include:
- Sick/Injury Care – medical evaluation, treatment & follow-up medical care
- Vaccinations – Influenza, etc.
- Women’s and Men’s Health – GYN examinations, birth control, STD testing, etc.
- Blood work/laboratory work – throat cultures, HIV, etc.
- Medications – prescription & over the counter
- Medical Equipment/Supplies/Other – crutches, band-aids, cough drops, etc.
- Referrals – to private practitioners, community agencies, etc.
- Free, confidential HIV testing & counseling
- Alcohol/substance abuse screening & counseling
- Current health-related educational literature/resources
- Appropriate health guidance with necessary referral
- Prevention focused programs
- Peer education programs
- Smoking cessation assistance & counseling
Student Health Requirements for Attending SUNY Poly:
All students at both the Albany and Utica sites, are REQUIRED to provide the following health documents to the Health and Wellness Center before August 1 for fall admission and January 1 for spring. Student athletes and nursing students have more stringent health requirements. Please refer to those respective departments for details.
Immunizations – Mandatory for all students registered for six (6) or more credits. Non-compliant students will be de-registered pursuant to the directives of the law.
Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) – NYS Health Law § 2165 requires all students taking on campus classes to provide documentation of immunity to MMR. Persons born prior to 1/1/57 are exempt.
- Measles: Two dates of immunization given after 1967 AND on/or no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday
- Mumps: One date of immunization given on/or no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday
- Rubella: One date of immunization given on/or no more than 4 days prior to the first birthday
- Titers: Date AND positive results of the measles titer, and/or mumps titer and/or rubella titer
Meningococcal Meningitis – NYS Health Law § 2167 requires all on or off campus students provide the following documentation:
- One date of the meningococcal immunization given within the past 10 years
- Completion of the Meningococcal Information Response Form indicating acknowledgement of meningococcal disease risks and refusal of the meningococcal meningitis immunization signed by the student (or student’s parent/guardian if under 18 years old). The Meningococcal Information Response Form is available on the SUNY Poly Health & Wellness Center website.
Health History and Physical Examination within the last two (2) years – Mandatory for all students registered for twelve (12) or more credits. The student may only receive clinical services at the Health & Wellness Center after the health history and physical examination have been submitted. Full-time students will not be permitted to register for another term until this health requirement has been met. Students taking less than 12 credits may use the clinical services if a physical examination within 2 years is on file.
Medical Insurance – Mandatory for all students (both the Albany and Utica sites) registered for twelve (12) or more credits and all nursing students, regardless of credit hours. SUNY Poly provides a basic, medical insurance plan for students who need coverage or wish to purchase additional coverage. Students taking less than 12 credits may request enrollment.
Domestic Student Medical Insurance Policy – EACH semester all domestic students taking twelve (12) or more credits and all nursing students, regardless of credit hours, are automatically billed and enrolled for a medical insurance policy as designated by SUNY Poly. If a student has other medical insurance coverage, i.e. under a parent or employer, and the student does not wish to purchase the SUNY Poly designated medical insurance, a waiver must be completed prior to attendance once each academic year. Automatic billing and enrollment will occur, if a waiver is not completed by the first day of the semester. Once that date passes, no waivers will be accepted. A PIN number is required to complete the waiver, which new students receive via mail. The medical insurance waiver is online: http://healthwaiver.sunypoly.edu.
International Student Medical Insurance Policy – The State University of New York requires that all international students entering the country for study or research, or any US student studying abroad in a SUNY sponsored program purchase a SUNY medical insurance policy. Medical insurance information is mailed upon admission and students are automatically billed.
For questions or more information, please contact the Health and Wellness Center by phone: 315-792-7172 or fax: 315-792-7371.