Matriculated students at SUNY Poly can obtain an academic minor in an area of study that is different from the area of the major and that has been approved by the Curriculum Committee and the Provost. Approved minors are described in the catalog. Application for an academic minor must be made through the department offering the minor by using a change of program form. Specific courses must be identified in consultation with a faculty member in the minor. A statement of successful completion of the minor will appear only on the student’s transcript at the time of graduation.
The following additional criteria must be satisfied for approval of the minor:
- The minor must consist of a minimum of 17 credit hours.
- The minor must be in a different discipline from the student’s major. “Different discipline” signifies a discipline other than the discipline comprising the majority of the courses in the student’s academic major.
- At least eight credit hours must consist of advanced level courses. “Advanced level” signifies courses beyond the entry-level sequence in the discipline; these courses normally carry prerequisites.
- At least eight credit hours must be taken at SUNY Poly.
- A student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (average of “C”) in the minor.